About the property
Settled 1812 – The large saltbox farmhouse, with its traditional center chimney and wide pine floor boards, is the oldest colonial house in Hartwick. The oldest road in the Town of Hartwick, the Old Otsego Road, passed this way having been used by Indians and early travelers. The property was first owned by the Cooper heirs and George Clark of Hyde Bay. The original farmhouse with, its piled stone foundation and well on the porch, was built circa 1812.
Today, sitting on just a little more than 34 acres is 15 acres of pasture and hay fields, 5 acres fenced, and the remaining woodland. After several years of restoration, this inviting home has three bedrooms, two full baths, an open first floor with dining, living, kitchen, den, and a hearth reading room. The hearth reading room has the original horse hair walls. All materials were re-purposed. The wide pine floor boards from the original first floor living room have been moved to the Master Bedroom and walk-in closet on the second floor, which was added in 1847. All the hardware that could be saved was used during the restoration. The first floor also has a Master Bedroom. The living room was completely taken down to the frame and rebuilt in 1997. The second floor has the original Master Bed Room with walk-in closet, and an additional bedroom, family room/library landing and a full bath.
All new “tilt-out” windows by New York Sash. Drainage system is in place. There is a 36′ by 48′ pole barn with two wing additions and a small two-stall horse or livestock barn with storage and a heated tack room for the equestrian. Plenty of potential for farming, horses, Alpacas – the list could go on and on. This home has been meticulously maintained by the current owners who have lived here for the past 45 years, throughout all the restorations and renovations. Private, pristine and peaceful. Minutes to the RT.28 and 205 corridors. Cooperstown Central School District and twelve minutes to the center of the historic village of Cooperstown.